We’ve had lots of new yarns, buttons and gift ideas delivered recently. The shop has also had a spring refresh to make room for all the new stock allowing us to stock more fabric and yarn than ever before! One of the new yarns is Cozy Soft Prints by Ella Rae.
Ella Rae is an Australian yarn and pattern brand famed for quality, affordable yarns and simple, classic pattern designs. Cozy Soft Prints is a Double Knit yarn composed of 75% acrylic and 25% super wash wool. It can be machine washed at 30 making it perfect for baby and child garments. It retails at £6 per 100g ball which has just under 200m on it making it very affordable.
We have 9 variegated colour ways that consist of a range of coordinating colours. This makes the finished garments fun and eye catching. There is great pattern support as well. There are 4 individual patterns that cost £3 each. They are all sized from 3 months to 5 years and take between 1 and 4 balls of yarn depending on design and age knitted.There is also an accompanying pattern book, Cozy Soft Booklet 123. This contains 6 patterns for ages 3 months to 8 years. It costs £6 which works out at just £1/pattern! None of the garments use more than 5 balls of yarn which means they are an affordable and fun way to knit for the small people in your life.
The latest addition to Bergere de France’s range of Spring/Summer yarns is Paradou. It joins Reflet, Bigarelle, Coton Fifty and Ecoton as one of our standard stock yarns and is perfect for warm weather garments and accessories as well as for those who can’t wear wool.There are 10 shades divided into cool neutrals and eye catching brights including blues, oranges and yellow. Each colour is shot through with a gold or iridescent thread which gives it a subtle sparkle when it catches the light. The yarn has both cotton and linen blended in which all take the dye slightly differently making the yarn appear multi-hued.
Composition: 41% acrylic, 37% cotton, 11% linen. 10% viscose, 1% polyester
Ball size: 50g/135m
There is excellent pattern support in Magazines 184 and 185, the new Spring/Summer pattern books for adults and children.These are a few of the garments in Paradou from Mag 184 which also features designs for men and women in the other summer yarns. If you would like to get hold of a free copy of this pattern book worth £7.25, we are hosting a special coffee morning on Thursday March 10th from 11-1.
It is free to attend and all attendees will get a free pattern book as well as a first chance to view sample garments from the latest collections. We are also offering 15% off all Bergere de France yarn, patterns and accessories purchased or ordered on the day. To reserve your space, please give us a call on 0121 314 6888 or drop us an email.
I am pleased to announce that the Stitch Solihull course schedule for January to April 2016 is now available. This sees the return of our popular beginners classes in knitting, crochet and sewing plus new classes in bag making and free machine embroidery.
The full timetable can be downloaded as a PDF by clicking the highlighted text or you can pick up a printed copy in store.
Places can be booked through our online store or over the phone on 0121 314 6888. We’d love to see you on a workshop soon. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Tomorrow is Small Business Saturday, a day aimed at celebrating the 5 million independent businesses that help make the UK great. We are thanking you for supporting us by offering 10% off everything for one day only. If you’re looking for the perfect present for the crafter in your life, or a little treat for yourself, here are 5 great gift ideas to inspire you.
1.Needle Felting Kits by Hawthorn Handmade
Needle felting is a fun and accessible craft that requires no previous knowledge of any textile crafts. Hawthorn Handmade kits include detailed instructions and all the materials needed to complete the project. With designs from mice to rabbits and robins to sheep there’s bound to be one that appeals. Brooch kits are priced £8.50 and large animal kits £15.
2. Weaving Kits by Juko Designs
These child friendly kits are a great introduction to weaving. They are complete kits and come with instructions on re-warping the cardboard loom so it can be used again and again. Bracelet kits cost £10 and contain everything needed to make two bracelets. There are also bag making kits at £14 that are worked in the round so there’s no sewing up afterwards.
3. Knitting Bags by Vanessa Bee Designs
These fun knitting bags are available in red and blue and are designed to make transporting your projects easy. There’s a pocket on the front for your pattern and 3 internal pockets for needles and other bits and bobs. Just £12.
4. Inspiration by the Book LoadBooks contain a wealth of useful information. Whether it’s learning a new technique or searching for a wider range of patterns, there’s bound to be a book that covers it. Just look at the selection we have on knitting socks alone!
5. Knitting Kits by Bergere de France We have a selection of beautifully presented knitting kits from Bergere de France that contain everything needed to complete the project from needles to yarn to buttons. These are great gifts for a knitter or why not whip up the project yourself and use the box to present it? There are a selection of baby garments, hats and cowls for difficult to knit for men and doll kits for the little ones. Prices start at £14.5o.
If all else fails, we also offer Gift Vouchers in values from £5. These have 6 months validity and will allow the lucky recipient to choose from any of our products or workshops. These can also be ordered by phone and posted to the recipient in a pretty card for an additional £1, perfect if you live too far away to visit yourself.
You can never have enough sock yarn! Whether you knit socks or not, this is a yarn that should be a staple of your stash. You can knit socks, shawls and even garments. Sock yarn is another name for 4ply and so can be used in any pattern that calls for it.
Last week we took delivery of a gorgeous new sock yarn, Socks Yeah! by CoopKnits. I’ve long been a fan of Rachel’s sock designs and when I heard she was doing a yarn, I couldn’t resist getting some in for you all. There are 10 subtly marled colours named after the minerals the colours are inspired by.Socks Yeah comes in 50g skeins with a generous 212m per skein which means you’ll need 2 for an average pair of adult socks and is priced at £5.45. The small skein size means it is also perfect for colourwork or perhaps a stunning stripey shawl. All the colours go together perfectly so whatever combination you choose, it’s bound to look great.
I think my favourites are Ammolite and Sphene. I’ve always been a pink girl and who can resist a bit of sunshine yellow on a grey autumn day? Which are your favourites?
We also have both volumes of Rachel’s sock knitting book. These feature an array of cleverly constructed and beautifully designed socks all of which would look great in Socks Yeah. Plus during November we will have 15% off all books! This will make Volume 1 £12.75 (normally £15) and Volume 2 £15.30 (normally £18).
A book and a couple of skeins of yarn would make a great present for the knitter in your life. I know they’ll be on my Christmas wish list.
Bergere de France have just released their latest annual collection, Creations 15/16 and I have to say that it’s stunning. They have put together a video showcasing some of the 138 patterns that are featured in the magazine. Why not have a watch and see if there’s anything to inspire you. It’s great to see some crocheted garments as well as the super cute baby designs that Bergere are renowned for.
We are hosting a special free event to celebrate the release of Creations 15/16 next Thursday, September 3rd from 11-1. We will be joined by Colin Chawner, the head of Bergere de France in the UK who will be bringing a selection of samples from the latest collection for us to admire and try on.
There will be Goodie Bags for all attendees worth over £12 which surely make attending worthwhile on their own! We will also be laying on tea, coffee and the all important cake.
We would really appreciate if you could let us know if you will be attending. Give us a call on 0121 314 6888 or send us an email to email@example.com.
Our Summer KAL kicked off officially yesterday – are you taking part? You can find more details on how to take part and the great prizes you can win in this blog post. If you would like to get involved but don’t know what project to choose, today I’m going to feature a range of Bergere de France patterns that are available for free. You can either download them and print at home or pop in and we can print a copy for you. Plus, if you say you are using one of these patterns for the knit along, we will still give you 10% off your yarn.
Since the sun is shining, we’ll start with the summery patterns. If you click on the links, it will download the pattern for you.
Clockwise from top left:
- Jacquard Sweater – This simple pullover with optional intarsia insect motif is knitted in Ecoton, a blend of cotton and acrylic making it cool enough for the summer and also great for those who find wool too harsh for next to skin wear. It is sized from 4 – 8 years.
- Wide Stap Vest – A sleeveless woman’s vest knitted using just garter and stocking stitch with simple shaping making it perfect for beginners. Sized from XS-XL it uses just 3 or 4 balls of Caline.
- Complete Outfit – Top and shorts for age 0 – 6 months knitted in Coton Fifty with Ecoton detailing. A quick, easy summer knit, the top is fastened with press studs at the back making it practical too.
If you want to do some selfish knitting, how about one of these tops?
From left to right:
- Alaska Sweater – A clever construction means that this jumper is knitted in one piece then folded and seamed along the underarms and down the sides. It uses just stocking stitch, garter stitch and 2/2 rib and would look great worked all in one colour as well as with the contrast yoke shown.
- Top Down Sweater – This cardigan with cable detailing is knitted from the top down giving you the option to adjust the length as you go. This method of construction also minimises the amount of finishing, great if you hate sewing seams!
We have 2 cabled children outfits for ages 6-12 if you fancy something more challenging.
These are available in one file. Both are knitted in machine washable wool/acrylic mixes and will be warm and snuggly for the autumn.
Then there are the baby patterns. I’ve always loved the stylish baby patterns that Bergere de France produce and it’s great that they have made a selection available for free. All of these but the owl outfit, which goes from birth to 12 months, are sized up to 24 months.
Clockwise from top left:
- Jacket – This jacket is knitted in Alaska yarn using a textured and eye catching broken rib stitch. It has a fun pointed hood and functional pockets, great for hiding little treasures.
- Striped Jacket – An easy cardigan knitted in Caline, a machine washable wool/acrylic blend, and with over 20 colours to choose from, you can have fun selecting your stripes. Why not have a whole rainbow?
- Owl Outfit – This outfit has it all – a jumper, mittens, hat and bootees all featuring a cabled owl motif. Owls are always popular and this is a great way to show them off. Knit the complete set or just one item, it’s up to you.
- Cape – Every superhero needs a cape and this one is knitted in Alaska with chunky cables running down the front and arms. If you don’t feel ready to tackle cables, just knit in stocking stitch for a simple version.
Hopefully something here has inspired you to get involved. If you haven’t seen the perfect pattern, pop in and browse the pattern books. There’s a huge range of designs and styles for all ages.